Friday, May 8, 2009

Ride Begins





I (Doug) arrived in Waxhaw Thursday night, plenty of time to pick up SAG supplies. Ed wasn't far behind and was able to provide buggy support on our initial Costco run. What does it take to fuel seven cyclists on a 100 mile day? Bagels, bread, gatorade, apples, oranges, bananas, powerbars, clifbars (chocolate brownie:-), peanut butter (extra crunchy), jelly, raisins, granola bars, multigrain b-fast bars, almonds, pickles and one special order of baby spinach leaves... we're going to nickname Dan the "Sailorman".

We were thankful for Bolt Brothers bike shop in downtown Waxhaw. They had what it took to get Gordon's bike roadworthy. He had an unfortunate shipping mishap (lost tools and various bike parts) that proved to be the first glitch in the week. We lost a little time and had to forgo a group ride/shake down. Pray we get any mechanical bugs worked out early tomorrow.

We had a good orientation to get us on the same page as far as group riding dynamics, rules for the road and dealing with weather, etc. I'm thankful for the team God has put together; Ben has led multiple long-distance group rides, both regional and trans-continental. Gordon used to race and was in the bike business for 8 years. I think Jeff raced in the old days too. Lots of great experience on the team.

Thanks so much for your prayers. Our most challenging day is tomorrow, 116 miles to Trinity Presbyterian Church in Orangeburg, SC. And lots of hills. I are a flat-lander. I’ll let you know how it goes… tomorrow! Bring it on.

Pictures: 1) Ed-Costco buggy support 2) Gordon and Dan - picking up the pieces 3) destination-Trinity Pres

2 comments:

George said...

Guys,

What an awesome day! Thanks for putting up with me. How biblical does it get when a stranger arrives and says I will lead you through the city. I will pray for you every day. The time we were together was a huge blessing to me.

George

George said...

Good evening,

Thank you so much for allowing me to ride with you today. It was so biblical. A stranger shows up to lead you through the city. I will be praying for you each day. Thanks again for putting up with me. It was such a blessing.

George