Tuesday, February 17, 2009

You want me to give what...?

Last week I answered the phone to an unfamiliar voice, not too uncommon, but this person was soliciting something I've never been solicited before: giving my blood. Just 8 weeks ago I gave blood for the first time, and now I'm on the short list for being called back? He said my blood type is in high demand and short supply, so today during lunch I went in and gave a pint of blood. This was only my second time, but I expect that it will be a common event from now on.

I couldn't help but to think on how my blood could help save the lives of up to three different people. That's a pretty amazing return for an hours time and some minor inconvenience. What I started to think is I've had this blood for over 40 years and am only now starting to share it. I just didn't know about it before. I didn't know there was such a need. I didn't know it could save peoples lives...I didn't know.

I also thought about God and how Jesus gave His blood for me. It's His shed blood that made a way for my forgiveness.

This "Going The Distance" event is about getting all the people working together that need to be a part to see God's Word transform lives. Some of us are to ride, some will support, some will host, some will pray, some will encourage, but all of us will give. What we are to give is set by God. For me, it is my time, resources, sweat, pain and I expect that I am just starting to give the tip of the iceberg that has been set for me. Today I gave blood that was given to me to save the physical lives of people that I will probably never meet or know. I also gave two hours on my bike in preparation for riding in April - sweating, straining and pushing myself to give just a little bit more--for the hope of people that I don't know hearing or reading the Word of God some day in the future.

Just one question remains: what has God given you that He would have you give as your part of this work? Certainly you have something to give; ask God to reveal his desire for you if you don't know what you are to give.

In heaven, sitting around a great table as a participant of a Great Feast, I expect to see some who are there due in part to this project, and entirely due to God's Grace and Mercy.

-Dan

No comments: