Monday, February 16, 2009

Introducing Dan and his 'steeds'...

Reading Doug's entries, where he mentions his time on his Mountain Bike (MTB)...well it seemed like a great way for me to introduce myself as one of the riders. It was just last May when I first started riding my MTB on the road, with my sights on a 100-mile ride in August. I think of my MTB much like an old steed, a faithful friend. I bought it back in 1987: a 32 lb Schwinn Impact. It was a big purchase for me back then at just over $200, but it sure has lasted me: trails in CA, to and from college, trails in TX,... chasing roadies...and being chased. I can very much relate to the idea of riding with roadies on my MTB. Fun memories...

It's hard to believe that it was just 10 months ago that I started cycling seriously. Since then, I've very much enjoyed cycling and have switched from running primarily to biking. As a fit, but large-framed person, my last running injury (Plantar Fasciitis) took many months to heal. Two weeks after the completion of the 100-mile ride, as I was still looking for a used road bike, God provided. They say you buy 3 road bikes before you really get what you want - but God skipped my first two and showed me my third one first! It's a great bike (2004 Cannondale r5000). It was in a garage with two flats and a layer of dust. But, in the dark, with out even being able to test ride it, it was clear it was in great shape. So after 1,700 miles on my MTB on the road, I was able to start riding a real road bike of my own. Now, I don't think the bike makes the rider, just the opposite - but as I prepare for 6 days of riding 600 miles, I am glad that I have some help in the form of a new "road steed".

I've now had my road bike for a little over 5 months, and I enjoy riding it very much. As part of the preparation for this ride, I've bought a trainer so I can be more schedule-oriented in my training and not have to depend on the weather or light hours. Last week my time was split about 50/50 for the ~8 hours of riding. It's my plan that I'll get more time outside as well as getting in some longer rides as March and April come--provided Boy Scouts, soccer games and other family events allow it.

I live with my wife of 20 years and my 4 youngest children. My oldest was married last year and has given us our first granddaughter. Our four kids at home range from 16 to 9. We've lived here since 1993, when we moved from CA to start working in what was then the Printing Arts Department (PAD) doing Windows software development. Since then, I've worked in different roles and projects both in and out of Wycliffe. I have been in the Language Software Development department (LSDev) for 7 years this month. It's a great group to work with and the end results directly hit the bottom line: helping to have God's Word in a language that speaks to each person.

(Just in case you weren't sure, the first photo is the front tire on my MTB - and the last is the front tire on my road bike: face shots of both my steeds.)

-Dan

5 comments:

Daniel Brinneman said...

GPS Tracker link doesn't work.

Also check out Google's new My Tracks service.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmjJrgUGdE

And Google Latitude
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Oq-9enE-k

Doug said...

We're still looking for a good system to work with. Probably won't have this on-line till May. Thanks for the heads up on Google my tracks and latitude. Doug

Daniel Brinneman said...

Doug,

If you have a rider who has an Amateur Radio license in the group. At least a Technician class license, you can use a radio, a GPS unit and TNC/Translator to send your position over the air. http://www.findu.com

Doug said...

Sounds like you be the man for the job :- ). thanx again. Doug

Daniel Brinneman said...

Doug,

I live at the JAARS center.