Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Introducing Steve Miller


I'm Steve, and I'm one of the cyclists training for Going the Distance.

The decision to participate was a fairly easy one for me--until I crashed on my bike. I didn't tighten my front wheel enough, and it came off when I hit a large crack in the road. I landed on my shoulder and broke my collarbone. A surgeon put in a plate and eight screws to fix it.

Now my son says I'm 0.0001% cyborg.

The accident knocked out the entire summer for training. When I was released to get back in the saddle last fall, I wasn't all that sure I wanted to. I have had some emotional pain to work through from the crash as well as physical pain. I have had serious doubts whether I could regain the physical ability in time to ride in May. 600 miles in six days is a long ways, something I have never done before, even when I was in prime condition.

This project is part of what has kept me going. We hope to raise funds for Congolese Christians who have had difficulties getting Bible translation training. If I keep training, maybe they can get their training. It's worth the attempt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
This is Ralph Owens, a pastor from PA and friend of Wycliffe staff member, Jamie Farr. I did a 950 mile ride last May to benefit our churches in Liberia. When Jamie shared this opportunity to serve it caught my interest. Do you need more riders for your team? Where do I find more information and how does one sign up? Thanks for your help. Contact me at ralphowens@msn.com