Thursday, April 2, 2009

Balance


Training to the 2005 Tour de France

Something that I wrestle with is balancing time with family and the desire to be in shape for the ride. My family is very supportive and encouraging, but I think about the extra work my wife does to take care of (Austin (10) and Abbi (7)) while I'm out training. I took the day off training on Tuesday just to play catch with Abbi in the back yard, and then we hit practice golf balls around with Austin too! It definitely keeps things in perspective, that yes, I am a missionary, but more importantly, I am the husband of my wife and father of my children.

I wanted to hear how you guys are managing your family time vs training. What has worked for you?

3 comments:

Steve Miller said...

Jon, I am a husband, father, missionary/software developer, church elder, outreach team lead, freelance editor (www.HolisticEditor.com), bassist, triathlete, Sunday cook, and smoothie maker.

Last summer I crashed. Last winter the flu knocked me out. There's nothing I can do about that.

I do what I can. That's all I can do. I accepted a long time ago that I would get, at maximum, one longer ride (30 miles or more) per week. I work out hard during long lunch breaks 3-4 times Monday to Friday. It has worked for three sprint triathlons, and I hope it will be enough for six centuries.

Steve

Steve Miller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D. H. said...

Hey Jon,

I can fully appreciate the value in the constant adjustments of 'time' and how to use it. We are all in different circumstances and so what works well for one may not even be possible for another.

I too have children (ages 18, 16, 13, 10 & 8) and a son-in-law and a grand daughter (16 mos). In this season of life, I have learned that getting up early while my family is a sleep is the best time for me to exercise. So that has become my normal routine: spending time on my bike in the garage – riding but not actually going anywhere. : )

I think if you are sensitive to God and your family, you will be able to discern how much and how often. Of course that requires a level of obedience and discipline to what you discern. For me that includes getting up when I might rather be sleeping, getting to bed when I’d rather be up, knowing when I need sleep and responding to the needs of my family (not just knowing them).

Nice post – good thoughts for us all to reflect on! Lord willing I look forward to seeing you in 7 weeks – to the day.

-Dan